Consult your healthcare professional if your tooth throbs or your gums are painful, red, and swollen.
Always see a dentist for pain in your teeth, however, rubbing clove oil or myrrh around the tooth will help to numb the pain.
Pain in the teeth.
The most common cause of toothache is decay (also known as a "cavity") due to dental plaque (made up of the bacteria, acids, and sugars in your mouth) which corrodes the protective enamel on your teeth.
If tooth decay is not addressed, an abscess can develop in the gum and in the most extreme circumstances may eventually lead to blood poisoning.
Other causes of toothache include:
- Impacted teeth (especially wisdom teeth)
- Gum disease
- Your dentist is the most appropriate person to talk to regarding toothache.
If the toothache is caused by decay, your dentist will normally repair the tooth with a filling. In extreme cases, you may need either root canal therapy or a tooth extraction.
- Horseradish & garlic may be of assistance to reduce the congestion of sinusitis and thereby relieve pressure on the teeth
- Calcium chewed will help keep the teeth healthy
- Oil of cloves or myrrh applied to the affected tooth and gum area will help reduce the pain
Life Style Factors
Sucking on ice may help to numb your gums and relieve pain.
Strict dental hygiene prevents tooth decay - remember to brush and floss your teeth twice daily, and to use an antibacterial mouthwash to protect your teeth from decay.