Prostate Benign Prostate Hyperplasia
Consult your healthcare professional if you experience the symptoms of BPH.
The presence of blood in the urine, or painful urination, needs immediate medical consultation.
More frequent urination, including nocturia (needing to get up to urinate frequently during the night) Urgency (the inability to postpone urination) Reduced force of flow Hesitancy (difficulty starting urination) Intermittent stream (stopping and starting) Painful urination Sensations of incomplete emptying Incontinence (loss of urinary control) Blood in urine
If you experience any of these symptoms, consult your healthcare professional who can arrange for the necessary examinations and blood test to help determine the nature of your condition.
Prostate enlargement occurs gradually, and is largely the result of hormonal changes associated with ageing, such as the conversion of testosterone to a more potent form called dihydrotestosterone. This causes an overproduction of prostate cells, which in turn causes the prostate to enlarge.
As the prostate enlarges, it obstructs the urethral canal, interfering with urination and the ability to completely empty the bladder.
- Serenoa is a herb which has been clinically proven to relieve the symptoms of a medically diagnosed enlarged prostate when taken in doses equivalent to 1800 mg dried berries per day
- Zinc deficiency is associated with enlarged prostate; for best absorption choose a zinc supplement which also contains magnesium, manganese and vitamin B6
- Selenium has been associated with good prostate health.
Life Style Factors
Raw pumpkin seeds (or pepitas) are a valuable addition to your diet, as they are rich in zinc and essential fatty acids necessary for a healthy prostate.
Cigarette smoking, alcohol (especially beer), caffeine and junk food have all been associated with prostate problems. Avoid these, and try to eat a diet rich in whole, unprocessed foods (wholegrains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds).
High cholesterol levels have been associated with prostate disorders, with cholesterol accumulating in diseased prostates. The herbs milk thistle and globe artichoke act as a tonic on the liver, and may help to reduce high cholesterol.
- Health authorities recommend that men over 40 years have an annual prostate examination. Your healthcare professional can give you more information.
- Regular consumption of soy foods and cooked tomato products may also be beneficial in the prevention of prostate conditions.
Cookies help us improve your website experience.