With more and more supplements for children popping up on supermarket and chemist shelves around the country, how do you know which one to choose for your child?
And more importantly, does your child actually need a vitamin supplement?
Even with the best of intentions, it can be difficult to ensure that your kids eat the fruit and vegetables they need every day to meet nutritional requirements.
There are plenty of times in a child’s life where nutritional support can be of benefit, such as when they start daycare and are looking to support their immunity, or during school years, where optimal nutrition is important for concentration and performance.
Young children can be fussy eaters which can mean they may not get the daily requirement of vitamins and minerals they need for maintaining a healthy immune system and developing healthy cognitive function. Plus, older kids can make poor food choices.
There can therefore be a role for supplements to help fill these nutritional gaps.
How do I know if my child needs a supplement?
- A multivitamin may be appropriate for your child if he or she: Is a fussy eater
- Doesn't eat regular or well-balanced meals
- Doesn't get enough vitamin D through diet or sunlight exposure
- Has a restrictive diet, such as a vegetarian or vegan diet
- Children have the best chance to reach their full potential, both mentally and physically, if they get adequate nutrition through diet and help fill the gaps with supplements.
How can I ensure I’m purchasing a suitable supplement for my child?
There are more and more offerings of children’s nutritional supplements and foods in the market than ever before.
Children often don’t like swallowing tablets or chewing things that taste ‘yucky’, and this is resulting in products that look like lollies to appeal more to children.
The downside is that many products actually are like a lolly and can be high in sugar and contain artificial sweeteners. Some children’s products contain as much as 53 g of sugar per 100 g.
Important considerations when choosing your child’s supplement
- Is it designed for your child's age group?
- Does it contain artificial sweeteners, sugars or colors?
- Is it based around the recommended daily intake (RDI) of vitamins and minerals?
- Is it in a form your child will take easily (i.e. chewable)
- Does it taste pleasant?
The Blackmores Children’s Range
At Blackmores it’s important to us that we provide formulations designed to help you meet your children’s nutritional needs, while also providing products that taste great so your kids will happily take them.
The Blackmores Children’s Range includes the following products:
- Kids Multivitamins+Minerals.