What does sustainability mean to Blackmores?
To Blackmores, a sustainable practice is one that can continue at a level which does not deplete the stock of a natural resource. Sustainable fish oil sourcing means sourcing fish oil only from suppliers who are able to continue to harvest and supply fish without depleting natural fish stocks.
Blackmores Sustainability Commitment
Blackmores is committed to:
1. Support fish oil suppliers that use sustainable practices that are credible, audited and approved by a recognised certification scheme or authority
2. Favour suppliers who demonstrate a commitment to sustainability by taking all reasonable steps to ensure fishing sources are not illegal, unreported, or unregulated
3. Being transparent about our sustainability sourcing practices and policy.
4. Reviewing and updating, where appropriate, our policy and action plans annually, in line with the prevailing status of fisheries management.
Choosing Wisely – Blackmores Sustainable Fish Oil Sourcing Policy
All Blackmores fish oils should come from non-endangered species of fish harvested by responsible methods to limit by-catch and environmental impact .
This policy is underpinned by the three Marine Stewardship Council’s sustainability principles:
- Principle 1: The fishing activity should be at a level which is sustainable for the fish population.
- Principle 2: Fishing operations should be managed to minimise environmental impact
- Principle 3: The fishery should comply with all regulations and should be managed to respond to changing circumstances and maintain sustainability.
Sourcing fish oil responsibly
Fish oil refineries are assessed as part of an ongoing improvement program to ensure the fish are coming from the appropriate fisheries Blackmores chooses to listen to market intelligence and review our suppliers, as required, to ensure that they are compliant to our policy Blackmores chooses to keep the Sustainable Fish oil Sourcing Policy under review and revise the policy as necessary to take account of global developments regarding sustainable practices and certification. Blackmores continually strives to improve the sustainability of our sourcing.
Blackmores Sustainable Fish Oil Sourcing Policy initiative represents Blackmores’ commitment to fulfilling the vision of healthy oceans, healthy communities, and sustainable business practices.